Saturday, November 12, 2011

Airshow on Ice

I have always loved going to airshows. But going to one here, on the sea ice.....uh YEAH!
They set up a static display of the aircraft used here on the airfield, which is out on the sea ice. Crazy to think that ice can hold this much weight. The pilots were aboard and answered questions. I thought the most interesting thing one of them told me was the following:

             Me: " It's pretty windy out here (more so then around the base) are crosswinds a major factor in landing on the ice?"

             Pilot:  "Yes especially landing with skis. Tires give and are easier to make adjustments. A lot of the time we land with one engine in full forward, and one in full reverse."

             Me:  "...........WOW!........that's cool"

Yeah, that is all I could come up with, wow.....it just shocked me. Sounds safe. Not on my list of jobs for next year. Anyway here are some pictures. Enjoy.....











This plane is having an identity crisis...Australia, Canada,......??????





















And where else can you just walk up in the tower? Only here...legally at least.




I'll close with some of the Huey's in action. I'll get some C-17 & C-130s in action soon.

















...........the sound travels so far.........you can hear it coming for miles....definitely combat ineffective..


but it is SOOOOOOOO COOL!!




....Till next time..............
                              ........................."Cooking on Ice"

No comments:

Post a Comment